A couple months ago I got a notification of a new WordPress comment. It was Rachel, saying in all caps that she expected another update soon. This isn't the wedding blog post, though. That's a larger thing that I'm still processing and savouring. I know I need to write it down, because I want to look back at it in a couple dozen years and smile.
No, this is a smaller, simpler post, as I sit here. My wife is beside me, and we're watching a live gymnastics competition in a stadium in Mississauga. Nothing about that sentence would make much sense to me of five years ago. It would all seem weird and kind of impossible, most especially the being married part. I think some part of me never expected to find the right person, find the person who could love me. And yet like most things in life, it was a single moment for me that crystallized that, not only was that not so impossible, that wonderful woman was right in front of me.
But it's been funny, adapting to this new normal of being married. Of coming home to someone, of having someone else to share the load. I am so grateful for her, but most especially for what she brings out in me. Anna's brought a whole new world to my life, filled with sports, golf, new foods, wine, cheese, Disney and puppies. She's brought me a new sense of adventure I didn't know I was missing, and a new dedication to myself. Suddenly I'm more worried about my health, because, well, it would kinda suck for her if I keeled over.
I find I believe in myself more, too. I'm learning to trust myself more, and in some ways, that's almost harder than loving myself. But they're connected, and I'd say I'm making progress on both sides (though trust is a bit more quantifiable from day to day, I'd say).
It's a new normal, absolutely, and there are adjustments, as with any big change. But I'm so grateful for it, for her, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Who knew I could enjoy being at a women's gymnastics event on a long weekend?
So today I'm doing Wine and Love again, hosted by Suki! Here we talk about the things making us reach for the wine glass (or alcoholic beverage of choice) and the things we love this week!
- Seems to be a lot of folks losing loved ones these days. Pets, parents, grandparents, a lot of folks I know have lost someone in the last few days. I try my best, to help and be there for folks, but everyone handles it in their own way, and there isn't really much you can say. Though if anyone has any tips on this, I'd love to hear them.
- Work continues to be very busy. Nowhere near some other folks, of course, but busy all the same. I was asked to do some extra work, that I was paid for, but it meant a late and stressful night, and it's throwing me off a bit. Nothing terrible, of course, but it's less than great.
- Weight. Things are on the upswing again. I try to keep an eye, but like many things, this could be helped by moving out and not having pie, cake and ice cream around at all times. Sadly, this is not something I have a say in currently. I do need to learn to say no to these things too. But when you're a bit stressed, it can be tough.
- I have an interview on Monday! I'm excited about this. I love my current work place, but I'd welcome the chance to try something new. This job would be closer to where I live (even closer if I move to the area I'm hoping to) and would be a great step up for me. Challenging, but worthwhile. I'm also just really glad to have the opportunity to interview and see their whole process, so I think this will be good.
- I'm doing better at reading blogs, keeping up on twitter and reading the papers every day. It's very easy for me to get caught up in my own stuff and miss a lot of what's going on, both around the world and with my friends, so I'm glad I've been able to do that. Next up; keeping up on YouTube!
- More wine! I've been drinking a bit more lately. Just a bit here and there, which may not be the most healthy, but it's nice. Latest favourite has been the GFM Approved Blanc de Blanc. Very nice, and relatively local!
What are you loving, and not loving this week?